NLC: No | Walkthrough: No | Temp License: No | Nursys: Yes
The South Carolina Board of Nursing will process the “walk-in” application regarding the eligibility of issuing a temporary license (Monday – Friday 9:00a-4:00p). The temporary license is valid for 60 days.
Approximately within 14 business days upon receipt of all required documents. The temporary license is valid for 60 days.
Endorsement Application: $100.00
Temporary License: $10.00
1. Complete and submit an application for Licensure by Endorsement (online or mail it in) ‘
2. Pay the associated fees
3. Submit completed and notarized Affidavit of Eligibility form (mail in or attach it to the online application)
4. Recent 2”x2”, full-faced passport type photo, signed and dated on the front.
5. Submit a copy of vital statistics birth certificate or passport (hospital birth certificates are not accepted).
6. Copy of social security card, permanent resident card or a resident alien identification card assigned to a resident alien who does not have a social security number.
7. Copy of nursing license in another state or jurisdiction in this country or territory or dependency of the United States.
8. Provide evidence of continued competence through employer certification (p.g. 13 of application)
9. Provide proof of residence- driver’s license; voter registration card or state issued identification card.
10. Copy of legal documents that authorizes a change in name (if applicable). You now qualify for a temporary license and will need to complete the remaining tasks before the temporary license expires in order to receive a permanent license.
11. Request verification from your original state of licensure.
• If the state participates in Nursys, you must complete the Nursys verification process, pay their fee and designate South Carolina as the receipt of the verification.
• If the state does not participate in Nursys, you must contact their state Boards directly for further instructions. You will need to send them the Verification of Licensure form (p.g 12 of application) to complete and submit to the South Carolina Board of Nursing on your behalf.
12. Official transcripts (if applicable)
• If your nursing education is not included in your verification, then you are required to submit an official transcript sent directly from your nursing education program to the South Carolina Board of Nursing office.
• The transcript must include all nursing courses applied to meet degree/diploma requirements, date degree/diploma awarded, date of graduation, registrar’s signature and school’s seal.
13. Complete the criminal background check requirements
• The Board will send you instructions on how to have your fingerprints processed once your application is received.
• In-State – You can have them completed electronically.
• Out-of-State – The South Carolina Board of Nursing will mail you their required fingerprint card.
• Renewal of your license occurs every 2 years (even years)
• Required continuing education contact hours – you must complete at least one of the following:
• 30 contact hours
• National certification
• Completion of an academic program of study in nursing or a related field
• Verification of competency and the number of hours practiced as evidenced by employer certification form.
• If you have questions about the renewal process, you can use the FAQ page.
Important Things to Know About Applying for Licensure for Endorsement
• A temporary license is not available if you were educated outside the United States.
• If South Carolina is your Primary State of Residency, you will need to complete this form.