NLC: Yes | Walkthrough: No | Temp License: Yes | Nursys: Yes
Approximately within 5 business days upon receipt of all required documents. The temporary license is valid for 30 days.
Approximately within 5 business days upon receipt of all required documents (more documents are required for permanent than temp)
Endorsement Application (includes the fee to conduct the Complete Background Check): $169.00
1. Complete an application for Licensure by Endorsement online
2. Pay the associated fees A packet of other required materials, forms (referenced below) and instructions will automatically be sent to you by ground mail.
3. Two completed fingerprint cards
• These must be the cards you receive from the nursing board office; other fingerprint cards cannot be accepted.
• You can get fingerprinted at your local sheriff’s office, police station or any authorized fingerprinting center. It doesn’t matter what state you get them done in.
4. A signed criminal history background waiver form.
5. Verification of original license
• If the state participates in Nursys, you must complete the Nursys verification process, pay their fee and designate Iowa as the receipt of the verification.
• If the state does not participate in Nursys, you must contact their state Board directly for further instructions. You will need to send them the Verification of License form to complete and submit to the Iowa Board of Nursing on your be half.
6. Request an official transcript to be sent. (see step 7) You now qualify to request a temporary license and must complete the remaining tasks before your temporary license expires in order to receive your permanent license.
7. An official nursing transcript.
• Forward the Request for Nursing Transcript form to the original nursing program from which you graduated, or the institution maintaining your official records, unless you can apply for the transcript online.
• A hard copy of the transcript must be sent by ground mail and directly from the program.
8. Information regarding any criminal convictions and out of state discipline must be submitted (if applicable).
9. Active military or federal government employee identification (if applicable).
Renewal of your license occurs every 3 years
• To determine your license expiration date you can check your wallet card or the Online Verification System.
• You may renew a license beginning 60 days prior to the license expiration date. 36 required contact hours
• RNs who regularly examine, attend, counsel or treat dependent adults or children must complete 2 contact hours of training related to child/dependent adult abuse
• Abuse training must be completed every 5 years.
Important Things to Know About Applying for Licensure for Endorsement
• The application process must be completed within twelve (12) months from the date the application is initiated. After the 12 month period, the application will be archived and all other required documents may be destroyed.
• You cannot request a temporary permit if you have any criminal convictions or current disciplinary action against your license in another state.
• The Iowa Board of Nursing states that the time frame to receive all documentation is usually 2-8 weeks.