NLC: Yes | Walkthrough: No | Temp License: No | Nursys: Yes
Approximately 8 weeks after receipt of all required documents.
Endorsement Application: $43.00
1. Complete an application for Licensure by Endorsement online
2. Pay the associated fees
3. Provide a valid United States Social Security Number
• If you don’t have a SSN you will need to complete this SSN Affidavit form and submit it to the Board.
4. Verification of original state of licensure
• If the state participates in Nursys, you must complete the Nursys verification process, pay their fee and designate Colorado as the receipt of the verification.
• If the state does not participate in Nursys, you must contact their state Board directly for further instructions. They will need to submit an official Verification of License form to the Colorado Board of Nursing on your behalf.
5. Verification of all other licenses. You will be required to provide information about any other healthcare license you have held in any other state or country (indicating the license number, status, issuance and expiration date of each).
• If you do not have an active registered nurse license in another state, your license has been expired two years or less, and you have practiced as a registered nurse within the two year period preceding this application, submit verification from one state in which your license expiration date was less than two years ago.
• If you do not have an active nurse license in another state, your license has been expired two years or more, and/or you have not practiced as a registered nurse within the two year period preceding this application, you must demonstrate competency to practice and may be required to complete an approved refresher course, complete the Competency to Practice forms.
6. Complete the Affidavit of Eligibility
• You will be asked during the online application to attest to and provide information that you are lawfully present in the United States or otherwise eligible to work here.
• You may be required to upload documentation of your lawful presence.
7. Fingerprint and Complete Background Check
• The results of your background check from CBI are only available to the Office of Licensing for a period of 60 days after your application is received. Therefore, you should complete the application within one week of submitting your fingerprints to CBI.
• You must submit to a background check specifically for your nursing license. You cannot use a previous background check or a background check from another state or jurisdiction.
8. Complete a healthcare professional profile
• You will be asked a series of questions concerning your practice at the end of your online application.
9. Provide supporting documents if you answered “yes” to any of the screening questions (if applicable).
10. Provide name change document (if applicable).
11. If you were educated outside the United States and its territories must submit the Credentials Evaluation Service Professional Report from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) (if applicable).
Renewal of your license occurs every 2 years
• All RN licenses expire on September 30th of both odd and even-numbered years depending on when the license is issued.
• If you are issued a license within 120 days of the upcoming renewal expiration date, you will be issued a license with the subsequent expiration date. No required contact hours Online License Renewal does not open until approximately 4-6 weeks prior to your expiration date