NLC: Yes | Walkthrough: No | Temp License: Yes | Nursys: Yes
Approximately 2 weeks upon receipt of all required documents. The temporary license is valid for 6 months.
Endorsement Application: $165.00 Kentucky Jurisprudence Exam: $9.00
1. Complete application for Licensure by Endorsement online
2. Pay the associated fees
3. State Criminal Background Check online (see below)
4. Federal background check and fingerprints (see below)
5. An official transcript with the degree and graduation date posted, if you completed a program of nursing in and/or were originally licensed in California.
• A temporary permit will not be issued to nurses who completed a program of nursing in and were originally licensed in CA until the transcript is received.
6. Verification of Licensure from your original board of nursing for all new graduates and California nurses.
7. Complete the Kentucky Jurisprudence Exam
• Click on Application Status to access the link to the exam after you apply with Kentucky Board of Nursing
1. Complete application for Licensure by Endorsement online or mail in a paper application
2. Pay the associated fees
3. State Criminal Background Check online
• Allow 7-14 business days for the processing of your background check by the Kentucky Board of Nursing.
4. Request a fingerprint card (mailed to you within 1-2 business days). Then complete the fingerprint card and mail it directly to the Kentucky State Police with applicable fees.
• Digital fingerprints are accepted. You can also have your fingerprints done at UPS mailing offices or any police or sheriff’s office.
• Allow 2-3 weeks for processing once the card is sent to Kentucky State Police
5. Verification of original state licensure
• If the state participates in Nursys, you must complete the Nursys verification process, pay their fee and designate Kentucky as the receipt of the verification.
• If the state does not participate in Nursys, you must contact their state Board directly for further instructions. You will need to send them the Verification of License form to complete and submit to the Kentucky State Board of Nursing on your behalf.
6. Complete the Kentucky Jurisprudence Exam
• Click on Application Status to access the link to the exam after you apply with the Kentucky Board of Nursing.
7. Official transcripts (if applicable)
• If you were licensed from one of the following states, you must request your nursing program to send the Kentucky Board of Nursing an official transcript, with the degree and graduation date
8. If you have not worked 500 hours in the past 5 years (not required for new graduates) you must provide validation of competency (if applicable).
9. Report any criminal convictions and provide any supporting documents (if applicable).
• Renewal of your license occurs every year
• Renewal takes place on October 31
• You are required to earn 14 contact hours of continuing education from an approved provider of continuing education each year for license renewal.
• You must earn 3 hours of Kentucky Board of Nursing approved domestic violence continuing education within 3 years of the date you are issued your Kentucky Nursing License.
• You must earn 1.5 hours of Kentucky Board of Nursing-approved Pediatric Abuse Head Trauma continuing education within 3 years of the date you are issued a Kentucky nursing license.
Important Things to Know About Applying for Licensure for Endorsement
If you respond “yes” to the disciplinary or conviction questions it can take up to 3 months to process your application. If you are foreign educated, follow the directions here to get your license endorsed by the Kentucky Board of Nursing. Application is best viewed using Internet Explorer or Firefox.