NLC: Yes | Walkthrough: No | Temp License: No | Nursys: Yes
Approximately 7-10 business days for the BON to process your application upon receipt of all required documents. Note that it takes 4-6 weeks for your fingerprints to be processed.
Endorsement Application: $100.00
Complete Background Check: $75.00
1.Complete application for Licensure by Endorsement online
• Provide a valid United States Social Security Number
2. Official transcript
• You must request your nursing program to submit an official transcript with your basic nursing degree and date conferred to the Mississippi Board of Nursing in a sealed envelope or via eScrip-Safe.
3. Verification of original state of licensure
• If the state participates in Nursys, you must complete the Nursys verification process, pay their fee and designate Mississippi as the receipt of the verification.
• If the state does not participate in Nursys, you must contact their state Board directly for further instructions. You will need to send them the Verification of License form to complete and submit to the Mississippi Board of Nursing on your behalf.
4. Criminal background check
• Mississippi residents: If Mississippi is your legal primary state of residence, you must call the Board to schedule an appointment to be fingerprinted.
• Out-of-State residents: If your legal primary residence is in another state, a Mississippi Board of Nursing fingerprint card and instructions will be mailed directly to you following the submission of your application for licensure.
5. Evidence of continuing basic nursing competencies shall include submission of written documentation of one of the following:
• Successful completion of a board-approved Reorientation Program for RNs or LPNs within the five (5) year period immediately prior to such application for renewal or reinstatement of the nursing license. The board may issue a temporary permit to any nurse during the time enrolled in a board-approved nursing reorientation program upon submission of required application and fees;
• Completion of twenty contact hours of continuing education directly related to nursing practice within the two (2) year period immediately prior to such application for renewal or reinstatement of the nursing license. Acceptable continuing education offerings are those which are currently approved, accredited, provided, or offered by a recognized credentialing agency;
• Successful completion of a minimum of three (3) semester hours of nursing credit offered by a nursing education program within the two (2) year period immediately prior to such application for renewal or reinstatement of the nursing license. An acceptable nursing program is one which is approved or accredited by the appropriate agency within the state.
6. If you were educated outside the states and territories of the United States, you must have evidence of nursing education and credential evaluation submitted by the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools. You can find the forms and more information here.
• Renewal of your license occurs every 2 years
• RN renewal is every even-numbered year. Thus, a license issued prior to August 31 will expire December 31 of that same year if it is a renewal year for that license type.
• Renewal begins on September 1 each year.
• No required contact hours
Important Things to Know About Applying for Licensure for Endorsement
• If you hold a compact license from another state and have moved to Mississippi, you may continue to practice on your compact license for up to 30 days while your endorsement process is under review.
• You must complete the endorsement application and pay fees before you submit any supporting documents.
• Your application and fees will remain active for one year. You would be able to complete the endorsement process at any time within that period.
• You can check the status of your application online.
• If you answered yes to any of the discipline questions, please allow additional time for the Complete Background Check process to be completed because of additional follow-up by board staff.
• The Mississippi Board of Nursing may issue a ninety (90) day temporary permit to practice nursing at a youth camp to qualified applicants upon receipt of a completed application and fee. The applicant must hold an active and current license in another jurisdiction.