NLC: Yes | Walkthrough: No | Temp License: Yes | Nursys: No
Alabama Board of Nursing does not provide a definitive timeline. Timing is dependent upon your willingness to be proactive as items are processed on a first come, first serve basis. Processing takes 24-48 hours upon receipt of all required documentation. The temporary license is valid for 120 days and is nonrenewable.
Endorsement Application: $100.00
Temporary Permit: $50.00
Transaction Fee: $3.50
1. Submit an application for Licensure by Endorsement online
2. Pay the associated fees
3. Provide a valid United States Social Security Number
4. Provide proof of citizenship/legal presence
• If you are a United State citizen you need to mail in this checklist.
• If you’re a non-citizen you must mail in this checklist.
5. Submit a notarized copy of your current nursing license
• If your current state of licensure does not issue license cards or if the cards issued do not include effective dates, the board will accept a notarized copy of the online verification page (must reflect your name, license number, status, and effective dates) of the Board of Nursing in your current state.
You now qualify for a temporary permit and need to complete the remaining tasks before it expires in order to receive your permanent license.
6. Submit official transcripts
• You must request your nursing program to submit an official transcript to the Alabama Board of Nursing in a sealed envelope. Faxed transcripts are not accepted.
• You must have graduated from a nursing program that substantially meets the same educational criteria as Alabama nursing programs.
7. Submit documentation for continuing education
• You must submit documentation of having earned twenty-four (24) contact hours of continuing education within the past twenty- four (24) months.
8. Verification from your original state of licensure
• If the state participates in Nursys, you must complete the Nursys verification process, pay their fee and designate Alabama as the receipt of the verification.
• If the state does not participate in Nursys, you must contact their state Board directly for further instructions. You will need to send them the Verification of License form to complete and submit to the Alabama Board of Nursing on your behalf.
9. Submit required documentation if you answered “yes” to any of the regulatory questions (if applicable).
• You must submit a detailed written explanation of the circumstances surrounding the event(s) which you are disclosing on your application. You must also submit additional supporting documentation.
Renewal of your license occurs every 2 years
• Registered Nurses renew their licenses in the even years
• The annual renewal period runs from September 1 through December 31. 24 contact hours are required
• This requirement is prorated in the case of first-time licensees
Important Things to Know About Applying for Licensure for Endorsement
• You cannot have a third party complete the endorsement application on your behalf.
• Temporary permits are for first-time applicants only.
• You cannot apply for a temporary permit if you have answered an affirmative response to one of the regulatory questions.
• You must submit an online application and pay the fee before mailing in any supporting documentation. You do not need to obtain fingerprints when applying for licensure by endorsement in Alabama.
• You can view the status of your endorsement application here.
• Here’s how you can change your Single State Alabama License into a Multistate License.
• The Board cannot process any application for a multistate license until after they receive the results of the fingerprint background check from Gemalto.
• The Board has no control over the background check process, which can take several weeks to process, depending on the volume received by Gemalto.
• The Alabama Board of Nursing is easily accessible and willing to answer any questions via phone.