NLC: Yes | Walkthrough: No | Temp License: Yes | Nursys: Yes
Approximately 2-3 weeks upon receipt of all required documents. The temporary license is valid for 6 months.
Endorsement Application: $150.00
Background Check Processing: $38.00
1. Create a profile and complete an application for Licensure by Endorsement online
2. Pay the associated fees
3. Criminal background check and fingerprints North Carolina Residents –
• Through your online nurse portal access the LiveScan Application
• Print and sign your LiveScan Application forms which include (1) Electronic Fingerprint Submission Release of Information and (2) Applicant Information.
• Have your fingerprints completed at your local sheriff office
• Mail, email or fax your Electronic Fingerprint Submission Release of Information form after Live Scan is complete.
• Live Scan results are usually received within 2 weeks and will be posted on your Nurse Gateway portal. Out-of-State –
• North Carolina Board of Nursing issued fingerprint cards and instructions will be mailed directly to you the following week after submission of your application for licensure.
• Fingerprinting must be performed by trained law enforcement personnel.
• Mail in the fingerprint cards and required forms to the North Carolina Board of Nursing.
4. Verification of original license AND current license (if different from original). If the state(s) participate in Nursys, you must complete the Nursys verification process, pay their fee and designate North Carolina as the receipt of the verification. If the state(s) do not participate in Nursys you must contact their state Boards directly for further instructions. You will need to send them the appropriate Verification of License forms to complete and submit to the North Carolina Board of Nursing on your behalf.
• Verification of Original License
• Verification of Current License You are provided a temporary license while the North Carolina Board of Nursing is awaiting the results of your background check, but they must have received official verification of a current and active license.
• Renewal of your license occurs every 2 years
• Licenses expire on your birth month. On-time renewal of licensure will be for two (2) years and will expire on the last day of your birth month.
• For initial licensure or reinstatement of a lapsed license, licensure may be for less than two (2) years in order to place the expiration on the birth month.
• Required contact hours: choose 1 from the following 8 options
• ALL Continuing Competence requirements must be met before renewal or reinstatement licenses will be issued. NO grace periods and NO exceptions will be granted.
• Completion of a program of nursing education which was approved by the jurisdiction of original licensure.
• Successful completion of NCLEX or SBTPE
• Self-Certification of mental and physical health necessary to competently practice nursing.
• Active license in a jurisdiction. If the license has been inactive or lapsed for five or more years, applicant must complete a Board Approved Refresher Course.
• Unencumbered license in all jurisdictions in which a license is or has ever been held, including any occupational licensing board.
• Completion of all court conditions resulting from any misdemeanor or felony convictions.
• Written explanation and all related documents if the nurse has been (1) disciplined in any state in which the nurse has been licensed, and/or (2) listed as a Nurse Aide with finding(s).
Important Things to Know About Applying for Licensure for Endorsement
• The initial application for Licensure by Endorsement and the Criminal Background Check will be held active for one (1) year. If the application process is not completed within one year, you will be responsible for the re payment of fees.