NLC: No | Walkthrough: No | Temp License: Yes | Nursys: Yes
Approximately 2 weeks upon receipt of all required documents. The temporary license is valid for 90 days.
Endorsement Application: $50.00
Temporary License: $10.00
1. Mail in a completed application for Licensure by Endorsement
• Typed or printed in blue/black ink.
• You will need to check the box on page 1 indicating that you desire a temporary permit and include page 4 (completed and notarized).
2. Your application must include all of the following:
• Include a photograph, approximately 2 1⁄2 x 3 1⁄2 inches, head and shoulders view, black and white or color, of professional quality.
• Submit the associated fee (made payable to the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency)
• Include proof of current, active licensure in state or territory – including documentation of license expiration date. This can be a printout or a photocopy of your license.
• If you answer “yes” to any questions on page 2 of the application, explain fully in a statement that includes all related details. If you answer “yes” to any of the questions you will not qualify for a temporary license because the Board of Nursing will need the results from your background check.
• Enclose any documentation of any legal name change if your name differs from that on any of your documents (if applicable). You now qualify for a temporary license and will need to complete the remaining tasks before your temporary license expires in order to receive a permanent license.
3. Verification of licensure from every state, territory, and country that you hold or have held a license, certificate, registration, or permit to practice nursing and/or any other regulated health occupation.
• If the state(s) participate in Nursys, you must complete the Nursys verification process, pay their fee and designate Indiana as the receipt of the verification.
• If the state(s) does not participate in Nursys, you must contact their state Boards directly for further instructions. You will need to send them a Verification of License form (found here) to complete and submit to the Indiana Board of Nursing on your behalf.
4. Official transcripts
• If the state of your original licensure does not verify your education for other state Boards of Nursing you will need to provide official documentation of graduation from a state accredited program in nursing, provided directly to the Indiana State Board of Nursing from your nursing program. If the nursing program completed was in a territory that was not previously approved by a state board, the transcripts would need to be submitted directly to the board from the school for evaluation.
5. Complete your Complete Background Check
• Complete this step only after receiving notification from the Board of Nursing that your application has been received. If you completed a Complete Background Check prior to your application being received, you will be required to complete another.
• Once you receive the email: (A) If you reside in state, go to Identigo and follow these instructions; (2) If you reside out of state, go to Identigo and follow these instructions.
Renewal of your license occurs every 2 years
• A license that has been expired for less than 18 months may be renewed online. The renewal fee is $50.00.
• If your license has been expired for more than 18 months you must complete and mail in this form along with a $100.00 fee.
• If your license has been expired for more than 3 years you will need to mail in a completed renewal form, $100.00 fee and a copy of an active license from another jurisdiction.
• If you do not have an active license in another jurisdiction, you will receive a notice to come before the Board for a Personal Appearance.
No required contact hours as long as your license has not been expired for 3 years or more.