NLC: No | Walkthrough: No | Temp License: No | Nursys: Yes
Approximately 8-12 weeks upon receipt of all required documents.
Endorsement Application: $75.00
License Certificate: $120.00
Surcharge: $5.00 Fingerprints (in-state): $62.70
Fingerprint Processing (out-of-state): $58.69
1. Apply for Licensure by Endorsement online
2. Pay the associated fees
3. Upload the following attachments at the end of the application online
• A clear, full-face passport photograph (2” x 2”) of your head and shoulders taken within the past six months.
• If you are a United States-born citizen, upload a copy of your Birth Certificate or United States Passport.
• If you are a naturalized United States citizen, upload a copy of your the United States Passport or Certificate of Naturalization.
• If you are a legal alien or another immigration status, upload your USCIS immigration documents; both the front and the back of your card.
• If your name differs from that on your Birth Certificate, upload documentation of your proof of a legal name change (i.e., marriage license, divorce decree, court order, if applicable).
4. Verification of licensure in good standing from the state in which you were originally licensed, currently licensed, and from every other state in which you have ever been licensed.
• If the state participates in Nursys, you must complete the Nursys verification process, pay their fee and designate New Jersey as the receipt of the verification.
• If the state does not participate in Nursys, you must contact their state Board directly for further instructions. You will need to send them the Verification of License form (p. 15 here) to complete and submit to the New Jersey Board of Nursing on your behalf.
5. Fingerprinting and complete background check
• Upon submission of your application, you will be sent information regarding the fingerprinting process. Your license will not be issued until the complete results of the background check has been received and reviewed.
• In-State – The Board will forward your information about how to schedule an appointment with MorphoTrust, Inc., to have your fingerprints electronically recorded.
• Out-of-State – The Board will forward to you one state and one federal fingerprint card. You must have your fingerprints recorded, on the cards provided, by your local police department, by your state police department or by your local law enforcement agency. You must return the fingerprint cards to the Board or Committee with the required fee.
6. Reports of criminal history will require you to submit additional documentation for review by the Board (if applicable).
• Renewal of your license occurs every 2 years
• 30 required contact hours
• You may carry over up to 15 additional continuing education credits into the next renewal period.
• Opioid Continuing Education Requirement: As a condition of biennial license renewal, all registered professional nurses and all licensed practical nurses must complete one (1) credit of continuing education concerning prescription opioid drugs, including alternatives to opioids for managing and treating pain, and the risks and signs of opioid abuse, addiction, and diversion.
Important things to Know About Applying For Licensure for Endorsement
• The New Jersey Board of Nursing offers a Temporary Courtesy License for military personnel or spouses of military personnel.
• Any incomplete application, which has remained inactive for twelve (12) months, will be destroyed in accordance with the Division of Consumer Affairs’ record retention policy.