NLC: Yes | Walkthrough: No | Temp License: No | Nursys: Yes
Approximately 10 days upon receipt of all required documents.
Licensure by Credentialing: $200.00
Complete Background Check: $30.00
1. Mail in your completed application for Licensure by Endorsement
2. Submit the associated fees
• Check, money order or cashier’s check) with your application
3. Official verification of licensure from your original state of licensure AND all professional licenses, regardless of status.
• If the state participates in Nursys, you must complete the Nursys verification process, pay their fee and designate Montana as the receipt of the verification.
• If the state does not participate in Nursys, you must contact their state Board directly for further instructions. You will need to send them a Verification of License form (p. 10 of the application) to complete and submit to the Montana State Board of Nursing on your behalf. *Photocopies of licenses do not qualify as official verification and should not be included with your application.
4. If the verification from your original state of licensure does not provide proof of your nursing education, you will be contacted by the board office for further instructions.
5. Complete background check and fingerprints
• Read and attest to reading the Noncriminal Justice Applicant’s Right form (p. 8 of application)
• Have your fingerprints taken. Fingerprint cards are available from most local law enforcement agencies and the Montana Department of Justice (DOJ).
• Mail in completed fingerprint card with the fee to the Montana Criminal Records.
• Renewal of your license occurs every 2 years
• All licenses expire December 31st
• If you are an “odd” licensee, your license must be renewed by December 31st of odd-numbered years, if you are an “even” licensee, your license must be renewed by December 31st of even-numbered years.
• 24 required contact hours
Important Things to Know About Applying for Licensure for Endorsement
• Incomplete applications expire 12 months from the date received by the Board of Nursing.
• If you need an official verification of your Montana license (you are getting your Montana license endorsed by another state) submit the request here along with the $20. Once the fee and official license verification form are received, the request will be processed and mailed within 5 days.