NLC: No | Walkthrough: No | Temp License: Yes | Nursys: Yes
Approximately 1-2 days upon receipt of all required documents. The temporary license is valid for 120 days. Note that It can take 4-6 weeks for the New Hampshire State Board of Nursing to receive the results from your criminal background check and you cannot receive a temporary license until then.
Endorsement Application & License: $120.00
Temporary License: $20.00
Complete the temporary license application in conjunction with a permanent initial license application.
1. Criminal background check and fingerprints
• In-State – You will get your fingerprints done via LiveScan. Then you will mail in the receipt with your specific tracking number assigned at the time of fingerprinting, applicable fees and your completed and notarized Criminal Record Release Authorization Form to the New Hampshire Board of Nursing and they will forward it to the New Hampshire State Police.
• Out-of-State – Mail in your inked completed fingerprint card, the applicable fees and your completed and notarized Criminal Record Release Authorization Form to the New Hampshire Board of Nursing and they will forward it to the New Hampshire State Police. The New Hampshire Board of Nursing cannot continue with the application process until they have received, reviewed and approved your completed criminal record report.
2. Complete application online or mail in a paper application (p. 12-17) for Licensure by Endorsement 3. The application includes verifications:
• Verify you have worked as a nurse for a minimum of 400 hours in the past 4 years
• Verify you have completed 30 education contact hours within the past two years OR you have successfully passed the National Council Licensing Examination (NCLEX) within the 2 years immediately prior to application.
4. Verification of original state of licensure
• If the state participates in Nursys, you must complete the Nursys verification process, pay their fee and designate New Hampshire as the receipt of the verification.
• If the state does not participate in Nursys, you must contact their state Board directly for further instructions. You will need to send them the Verification of License form (p. 16 of paper application) to complete and submit to the New Hampshire Board of Nursing on your behalf.
5. Submit The Declaration of Primary State of Residency form with a photocopy of proof of residency (driver’s license, tax form, etc.)
6. Submit a letter of explanation sent with the application to the Board of Nursing for any conviction of a misdemeanor, felony or criminal act, not including traffic violations require (if applicable).
7. Provide CGFNS or the credentialing report that was submitted to the state initially licensed if you were educated outside the United States (if applicable). Temporary licenses are available while the Board of Nursing is awaiting the paper verification from your original state of licensure (if they are one of the states that do not participate in Nursys).
• Renewal of your license occurs every 2 years
• Complete one of the following Active in Practice requirements:
• 400 hours active in practice in 4 years immediately prior to the date of application,
• Have completed a board-approved refresher program within 2 years of application or have successfully completed NCLEX examination within 2 years of application.
• Complete one of the following Continuing Education requirements:
• 30 contact hours in 2 years immediately preceding license application including workshops, conferences, lectures or other education offerings designed to enhance nursing knowledge, judgment, and skills
• Successful completion of a refresher course within 2 years of the date of application Special Circumstances Applicants from Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Vermont may apply for an immediate provisional/temporary license and must submit the temporary license application with the license application for permanent licensure. The complete background check must be submitted but the result can be pending.
Important things to Know About Applying For Licensure for Endorsement
• Application/licensing processes not completed within 180 days will be purged.