NLC: Yes | Walkthrough: No | Temp License: Yes | Nursys: Yes
Approximately 3-5 business days upon receipt or all required documents. The temporary license is valid for 90 days and non-renewable.
Endorsement Application: $160.00
Criminal History Record Check:$41.25
1. Official transcripts (see below)
2. Verification of licensure from your original state of license by exam (see below)
3. Complete application for Licensure by Endorsement online
4. Pay the associated fees You can receive a temporary license if you have either the verification of licensure OR your official transcripts pending.
1. Submit official transcripts
• Request your college to send your official transcript of your grades with the degree posted directly to the North Dakota Board of Nursing office.
2. Verification of licensure from your original state of license by exam. If you do not hold an active license in your original state of license by exam, you are required to submit a second verification of licensure from the state in which you hold an active license and were most recently employed.
• If the state participates in Nursys, you must complete the Nursys verification process, pay their fee and designate North Dakota as the receipt of the verification.
• If the state does not participate in Nursys, you must contact their state Board directly for further instructions. You will need to send them the Verification of License form (found online) to complete and submit to the North Dakota Board of Nursing on your behalf.
3. Complete an application for Licensure by Endorsement online
4. Pay the associated fees
5. Criminal history record check
5.1. Contact your local law enforcement agency or a private agency that provides fingerprinting services to make an appointment to be fingerprinted.
5.2. Mail the following to the North Dakota BON:
• Your completed and signed Criminal History Record Check form (found online)
• Two completed fingerprint cards (if ink and rolled)
• One completed fingerprint card (if electric)
5.3. North Dakota Board of Nursing will submit the completed form, fee, and fingerprint cards to the Bureau of Criminal Investigations (BCI).
5.4. It takes approximately 7-10 business days for the Board of Nursing to receive your results from the background check. A permanent license will not be issued until then.
• Renewal every 2 years
• You must meet or exceed 400 hours of nursing practice in the preceding four years
• 12 required contact hours Requirements
• You must have a United States Social Security Number
• You must have completed a nursing program that prepared you for the level of licensure sought and includes supervised clinical experience across the life span as apart of the curriculum.
• You must have one of the following:
• Four hundred hours of license nursing practice in the last four years for the level of licensure sought (if practice occurred outside of the United States complete the Verification of Employment Form)
• You must have completed your nursing program in the past four years
• You must have completed a board-approved refresher course within the past four years
• You must submit proof of initial licensure by examination with the examination meeting North Dakota requirements for licensure examinations in effect at the time the applicant qualified for initial licensure.
Important Things to Know About Applying for Licensure for Endorsement
• The process and all the linked forms can be found here.