Travel nursing delivers an unparalleled opportunity to pursue both professional advancement and personal adventure. As a licensed and registered travel nurse, you’ll not only get the chance to do what you love, but you’ll also enjoy the freedom of choosing where you’ll go to do it.
Consider Local Attractions, Events, and Culture When Selecting Your Next Top Travel Nursing Location
The high demand for qualified and experienced healthcare providers means that assignment options are virtually endless. As a result, even the most enthusiastic road warriors sometimes struggle to pinpoint their next home away from home. Yes, you’ll want to consider practical factors and logistics like job description, salary parameters, and housing accommodations when deciding where to go on assignment. However, when determining your next contract destination, keep in mind that exploring a new region of the country should also be fun. Go into the selection process knowing about the nearby amenities, sights, and attractions in some of the country’s most robust healthcare markets to ensure you pick a location you’ll love exploring once your shift has ended.
Here are six awesome places to consider for your next traveling nurse contract:
The New Jersey healthcare market is thriving, making it an ideal location for a diverse range of travel nursing assignments across a multitude of specialties. Not only will you have the opportunity to work in one of the state’s many renowned healthcare facilities, but you’ll also have the chance to embrace everything there is to see and do in the Garden State throughout your travel nurse contract. Plan a trip to the Jersey Shore for all things seaside, test your luck at one of Atlantic City’s casinos, or spend time checking out some of the many zoos, parks, and museums found in this beautiful eastern state.
Other Must-See New Jersey Cities, Events & Attractions
- Concerts throughout the year
- Absecon Lighthouse, the Steel Pier, and the Jim Whelan Boardwalk Hall
- Night In Venice: July 13th
- Outdoor summer concerts
- Beach and Boardwalk
- Hoboken Italian Festival: September 5th – 8th
- Be sure to check out the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway, the Hoboken Historical Museum, and the Pier C Park
- Cape May Fireworks Extravaganza: July 4th
- Oktoberfest: September 28th
- Be sure to check out Washington Street, the Cape May Lighthouse, and Cape May Point State Park
As a travel nurse in this beautiful northeastern state, you’ll have access to some of the country’s most innovative healthcare facilities. As a local here, you’ll have access to a diverse natural terrain as well as several bustling cities. History buffs will love exploring Pennsylvania’s rich history that includes Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. Thrill seekers will flock to Hershey Park where, beyond the site’s many rides and attractions, you can also enjoy outdoor concerts at the Hershey Arena, as well as stroll through the gorgeous Hershey Gardens. You’ll also want to set aside time for the State Museum of Pennsylvania, City island, and Pennsylvania State Capitol Complex during your next 13-week contract.
Other Must-See Pennsylvania Cities, Events & Attractions
- Philadelphia Folk Festival: August 15th – August 18th
- Made in America Festival: August 31st – September 1st
It’s not surprising that New York is one of the most popular destinations for traveling medical professionals with every experience level and specialty. Put simply: there’s something for everyone in the state of New York. Whether you want to have the quintessential tourist outing through Manhattan or prefer to experience the more natural and remote upstate regions, you’ll easily find ways to fill up your free time while on contract in New York.
Other Must-See New York Cities, Events & Attractions
- Outdoor summer concerts
- Visit all the renowned hot spots like the Statue of Liberty, Central Park, and Rockefeller Center
- Buffalo Niagara Scottish Festival: August 17th
- Niagara Falls, the Albright-Knox Art Gallery, the Buffalo Zoo, and Canalside
- Erie Canal Museum, Everson Museum of Art, and Museum of Science & Technology
- Disrupt Festival: July 2nd
- Great New York State Fair: August 21st – September 2nd
- Outdoor summer concerts
- Washington State Park
- New York State Capital
- New York State Museum
Delaware may be small, but this Mid-Atlantic state offers a diverse range of activities, attractions, and events that make it a favorite among traveling nurses with a wide range of interests. Here you’ll discover historic estates, art museums, and countless restaurants that make it easy to enjoy fresh and nutritious meals on nights you don’t want to cook. Delaware also offers travel nurses ample opportunity to get an up-close glimpse at everything Mother Nature has to offer in this beautiful region with its many state parks, beaches, and wildlife preserves.
Other Must-See Delaware Cities, Events & Attractions
- Delaware Shakespeare Summer Festival: July 12th – 28th
- Brew at the Zoo: September 27th
- Brandywine Creek, Delaware Art Museum, and the Brandywine Zoo
- Sandcastle Contest: September 7th
- Rehoboth Beach Jazz Festival: October 16th – 20th
- Rehoboth Beach Museum, Funland, and Cape Henlopen State Park
- Beach and Shopping
With plenty of sunshine, a vibrant local culture, miles of coastline, and multiple advanced medical facilities, Maryland offers nursing professionals an ideal location to achieve work/life balance. Plan a trip to the state’s renowned Eastern Shore, where you’ll find world-class restaurants (don’t miss your chance to try soft shell crab), beaches, and spectacular sunsets. You’ll also want to set aside time for Baltimore, home of multiple museums (including the actual home of Edgar Allen Poe), popular eateries, live theaters, outdoor concerts and, of course, the Baltimore Orioles.
Other Must-See Maryland Cities, Events & Attractions
- Food Truck Gathering (Westfield Annapolis): July 12th
- Maryland Seafood Festival: September 7th
- US Naval Academy Museum
- Aquarium at the Inner Harbor
- Baltimore Museum of Art
- Baltimore Water Lantern Festival 2019: July 6th
Searching for traveling nurse opportunities away from the east coast? Ohio is an excellent option. Professionally, Ohio touts renowned medical practices and facilities that can help you expand your skill set and expertise. Personally, you’ll have access to a wide range of popular attractions like the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Cleveland Museum of Art. You’ll also find several theme parks, including Cedar Park, Kings Island, and the Ghostly Manor Thrill Park here.
Other Must-See Ohio Cities, Events & Attractions
- Lake Erie Shoreline
- African Safari Wildlife Park
- Marblehead Lighthouse State Park
- Kelleys Island State Park
- Arts Festival: July 12th – 14th
- Cincinnati History Museum
- Cincinnati Music Fest 2019: July 25th – 27th
- Outdoor summer concerts
- 2019 Columbus Summer Wine Festival: August 24th
- COSI Science Center
Choose a Traveling Nurse Recruiting Team That Helps You Live Like a Local
No matter where your next dream job is located, it’s essential to work with the right recruiting team. When selecting your recruiting partner, you’ll always want to look for a company that has access to the best job opportunities. However, a fully-engaged staffing firm will also offer discounts on nearby attractions, events, and services to help you practice self-care, have fun, and truly embrace life as a local on every assignment.
Ready for your next travel nurse adventure? Contact ARMStaffing today to learn more about our open opportunities across the country. Be sure to ask your recruiter about our dynamic benefits and discounts programs.